Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Mommy Mondays, Part I

Babies come with a lot of accessories. As someone who has long enjoyed shopping, I thought this would be a fun (albeit expensive) endeavor. As a first time mom, I literally had no idea what I would need. We have several different large, chain, baby-focused stores here, as well as some wonderful, locally owned boutiques. I spent hours wandering aimlessly through all of them (as well as countless hours on the interwebs) and still had no idea what I truly needed. All of the stores were more than happy to instruct me, but I had serious doubts about how much of it would actually be useful. (The bottle drying rack that looked like grass? That was pretty tempting though.)

About a month before Baby Lovely arrived I called my mother, panic stricken. "You have to go to Giant Babyworld with me this weekend. I'm not readdyyy", I wailed. I could almost hear her amusement over the telephone, however she humored me and off we went with my American Express and a lengthy list of "must haves". Once we arrived I dragged my poor mother up and down each aisle to get her opinion on all of the items I supposedly could not live without, lest I fail motherhood. About the time we reached the humidifiers (hot air? cold? shaped like an elephant or duck?), my mother looked at me and said "babies are actually pretty simple. They need food, clothes, diapers, and a place to sleep. You'll figure everything else out."
Not wanting to believe her, I limited my purchases that day but ended up going back the following week to get a few more things that I thought I had to have. Do not try to reason with anyone who is 9 months pregnant. Seriously.

You know what happens next - Baby Lovely arrived, and lo and behold, I discovered that we didn't need a bunch of stuff. We needed very little, actually.  I spent hours researching the very best organic, non-toxic, PVC free crib mattresses. You know what happened? She hasn't spent a night in her crib yet.  Yep, we are those people - we co-sleep.  Did I always dream of bringing my baby home and sticking her in my bed? No, otherwise I would have saved all my time and money decorating her nursery.  Does it work for us right now? So far, and there is nothing wrong with that.  Whatever gets all of us the most sleep works for me.  I think we are going to try transitioning Baby Lovely to her room around the six month mark - that will make for several posts I'm sure.


Ignore the bird's nest in the corner.  They had their babies the week we came home from the hospital and I'm too sentimental to take it down. 
 PS - Please ignore the fact that my first Mommy Monday post is on a Tuesday.  I'm still working out the kinks of this blogging thing (and the whole motherhood thing.) 

1 comment:

  1. Adorable baby Lovely! What gets you the most sleep is key :) My baby goes to bed in her own bed, but If she wakes up in the night, she is in my bed until morning (most times). She does wake me up kicking and moving but I am still too lazy and half asleep to actually put her back in her bed.

    ReplyDelete